Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Most Beautiful Poem

Cousin Betina from Greece sent me a package full of poetry and one of the poems AMORGOS by Nikos Gatsos is unspeakably beautiful. Humbling for sure. Here is a passage. . .

That is how the grape goes dry deep inside the pot
and the apple turns yellow in the bell-tower of a fig tree
That is how in a tawdry cravat
The summer is breathing under a tent of vine-leaves
That is how quite naked among white cherry trees my darling sleeps
A girl unwithering as a branch of the almond tree
With her head at rest on the crook of her arm, and her hand on her golden coin.

xoxo
Tuesday

3 comments:

LA Woman said...

Lovely Keisha!

Just got caught up on your blog posts - sounds like you are really in a groove now and enjoying your journey. If I want to send you something where do I send it?

I'll ask Kal if I don't hear back from you.

With you in spirit!

Ernie
womanwsoul@yahoo.com

Keisha said...

Ernie thanks for stopping by again! So good to hear from you! I'll send you and email with my details! So sweet of you to think of me!
xoxoxo

shelley lou said...

Cousin Bettina sent us a postcard,,,first ever and it was full of info. Maybe she wanted to get those prized poems out of the country